178,919 expats quit for good.

Huge fees forces 17,891 ‘no degree’ 60s plus residents to leave

A year after the application of the KD 800 fee, in parallel with the implementation of the Kuwaitization policy in government agencies and the crackdown on marginal labor, a recent statistic revealed that 178,919 expatriates left the country in the year 2022.

According to the statistics issued by the Public Authority for Civil Information (PACI), the total number of final exits by holders of undergraduate certificates who are of ages 60 years old and above amounted to 17,891 expatriates due to their inability to pay the fees estimated at KD 800. The number of expatriate workers aged 60 years and over reached 104,645 as of mid-2022 from about 122,536 in mid-2021.

There is also a noticeable decrease in university degree holders from 155,665 in mid-2021 to 146,942 in mid-2022. In addition, the number of postgraduates also decreased from 7,213 in mid-2021 to 6,912 in the middle of 2022. The total number of expatriate workers in the middle of the year 2022 amounted to 2 million and 718 thousand and 803 expatriates. Their number in 2021 was about 2 million and 897 thousand and 522 expatriates, which means that about 178,919 expatriates left Kuwait permanently within a year.

According to official data, the percentage of expatriates working in the government sector in Kuwait is the highest among the Gulf countries, with about 23 percent of the total government employees, reports Al- Rai daily. According to the latest statistics of the Public Authority for Civil Information (PACI), the number of workers in the public sector amounted to about 483,200 employees, of whom 372,800 are Kuwaitis, constituting about 77 percent of the total, and about 110,400 are expatriates.

The total number of Kuwaitis and non-Kuwaitis working in the public and private sectors in Kuwait amounted to about 1.91 million. Among them, about 75 percent work in the private sector, and the remaining 25 percent in the public sector. As for other GCC countries, the number of workers in the government sector in Saudi Arabia has reached about 1.7 million, of whom about 90.8 percent are Saudis and only 9.1 percent are expatriates, according to data from the General Authority for Statistics in Saudi Arabia. In Bahrain, the number of public sector employees reached about 39.8 thousand workers, of whom Bahrainis constitute 85 percent and expatriates 14.6 percent, according to the latest data of the Labor Market Regulatory Authority in Bahrain. In the UAE, the number of workers in the public sector reached about one million employees with 89 percent Emiratis and 11 percent expatriates, according to data from the official portal of the UAE government.

In the Sultanate of Oman, the number of government workers reached about 393,000, of whom Omanis constitute about 89 percent, and expatriates only 11 percent, according to the electronic census data in the Sultanate, which is a central statistical data system linking various databases of government and private agencies. No detailed data were available regarding the employment structure of the public sector in the State of Qatar. Based on these data, the percentage of expatriates working in the public sector in Kuwait is the highest in the Gulf (23 percent). Bahrain comes in second with 14.6 percent, followed by the UAE and Oman with 11 percent, and then Saudi Arabia with 9.1 percent.

Source- Arab Times.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *