Kuwait Local News

Amir leaves for Bahrain to attend GCC summit

His Highness the Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah will leave for Bahrain today leading a Kuwaiti official delegation to attend the 37th Summit of the GCC Supreme Council and GCC leaders’ meeting with British Prime Minister Theresa May.

The summit is held amid quite significant regional challenges, affirmed Abdullatif Al-Zayani, the GCC Secretary General. These political, security and economic challenges warrant solidarity and cooperation among all the GCC member states and relentless action to attain merger among them, Zayani said in an interview broadcast by the official Bahrain News Agency (BNA) yesterday.

He indicated that agenda of the GCC summit, due on Tuesday, includes various files related to political, economic, security and social cooperation, as well as examining reports filed by the Ministerial Council, committees and the General Secretariat.

Challenges
Current economic conditions constitute some of the major challenges facing the GCC states, he said. The GCC countries had already taken steps at this level, endorsing the joint economic treaty, setting up the common market and the customs union.
Elaborating, Zayani re-affirmed the GCC states’ resolve to face security threats. “They will not hesitate to take all necessary measures to safeguard their security, stability and defend their sovereignty and interests,” he stressed.

The GCC countries have taken an unwavering approach for upgrading their security and military potentials for defense purposes and safeguarding achievements that have been made throughout the years, Al-Zayani added.
He rejected, anew, foreign intervention in the regional countries’ affairs for such meddling contradicts with international laws and threatens the Gulf security and stability, noting the UN prime role in this regard.

On the Syrian refugees’ plight, he underscored the GCC countries’ efforts at the public and private levels to help them, noting that the GCC states along with other countries had pledged more than $7 billion to aid the Syrians. Kuwait had hosted three international conferences grouping countries pledging support for the Syrians affected by the war. A fourth one was held in London.

Regarding Yemen, Al-Zayani said the GCC countries had given substantial financial support for the legitimate government to help it deliver relief supplies to those in need in the war-stricken nation. For its part, Saudi Arabia had established King Salman Center for Relief and Humanitarian Aid to coordinate humanitarian operations in Yemen, with a special budget estimated at one billion Saudi riyals.

Integration
Bahrain’s Foreign Minister Sheikh Khalid bin Ahmed Al Khalifah yesterday expressed confidence that the summit will come up with resolutions to promote the pan-GCC integration, and joint action. These will be topped with carrying on with implementation of Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud’s ‘Vision 2030’ for accelerating the pace of cooperation among the member states, and enhancing the bloc’s joint action, Sheikh Khalid Al Khalifah said in a press statement.

He noted that the GCC Ministerial Council in 2016 approved measures for the completion of the Monarch’s wise vision, and the leaders endorsed the formation of a joint commission to reactivate economic and development.

The Bahraini chief diplomat pointed to the pivotal role the GCC member states play on the regional and international scenes. The 37th Summit will be a good chance to consolidate this role, and further boost security and stability in the region, to maintain unity, development, and prosperity in the region.

Concluding the statement, Sheikh Khalid Al Khalifah praised the Saudi King’s presidency of the 36th Summit held in Riyadh in December 2015, which has helped achieve remarkable steps for the GCC march, to continue with strong resolute in the Manama summit till the bloc realizes the aspired integration and unity.

Tension
In the meantime, MPs of the Bahraini Council of Representatives have affirmed the importance of the upcoming GCC Summit in facing the rising political, security and economic tension in the region. The MPs agreed in various statements that the current unstable conditions in the Arab World, mainly the escalation of terrorism and the economic situation in the Gulf countries due to the drop in oil prices, require the GCC states to unite.

Creating unity between the GCC countries will prevent any outer intervention in the Gulf’s own issues, said MP Nasser Al-Qaseer. The Gulf states have the ability to become one of the top economic powers, as they possess huge financial abilities, strong infrastructure and opportunities for attracting foreign investments, he added.

MP Mohammad Al-Amadi said meanwhile that the GCC citizens are looking forward for the outcome of the 37th summit, hoping the leaders would take measures to create a Gulf union to face the growing challenges and threats in the region. Sharing one language is a key factor to create a strong economic union, he said.

On this matter, he mentioned the successful experience of the European Union (EU), despite countries of different languages and backgrounds. Meanwhile, MP Jamal Dawoud noted the importance of discussing means of resolving the unemployment issues among youth through executing joint-GCC economic projects.
Unity
In the meantime, Bahraini Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Sheikh Humoud bin Abdullah Al Khalifa said that the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries are heading towards a level of unity and further development. He further stressed the importance of the 37th GCC Summit to be held in Riyadh tomorrow, amidst the rising political, economic and security tension in the region. The ambassador hoped the summit will result in establishing the sought and the long-awaited Gulf union to face the challenges and threats and boost economy among the GCC states. – KUNA

Viral

Car burried in bricks after truck loses control

Kuwait Local News

More citizens target private sector jobs

Recent statistics released by the Manpower and Government Restructuring Program (MGRP) show that 81.1 percent of citizens registered for recruitment had filed to get private sector jobs. Statistics also showed that the total number of citizens registered for employment since the beginning of January is 1,010, including 820 applying for private sector jobs and 190 for public sector ones. MGRP is a state department primarily concerned with helping national manpower find jobs in the private sector.

Kuwait Local News

National Bank of Kuwait launched NBK Foreign Currency Prepaid Card

National Bank of Kuwait (NBK) has recently launched NBK Foreign Currency Prepaid Card; as part of its ongoing efforts to facilitate customers’ banking transactions while traveling abroad, enabling cardholders to pay using the hosting country’s currency. This new innovative card is the safest and most convenient means of payment, as it delivers a more secure and convenient experience for NBK customers during their travel, and gives them peace of mind knowing that they have recharged their prepaid cards before leaving home, thus avoiding any exchange fl uctuation. NBK Foreign Currency Prepaid Card is available in seven currencies: US Dollar, Euro, Pound Sterling, UAE Dirham, Egyptian Pound, Indian Rupee, and the Jordanian Dinar. Customers can recharge their cards through NBK Online Banking, NBK’s IVR, NBK Call Center, or any of NBK branches.

Commenting on the newly launched card, NBK Assistant General Manager- Consumer Banking Group, Hanadi Khazal said that this card is ideal for frequent travelers as it provides a full range of benefits to NBK customers and facilitates their purchase transactions outside Kuwait. The new card is an example of leveraging innovation to deliver on client needs, and builds on NBK’s ongoing efforts to providing frequent travelers with the fl exibility and security while paying for their purchases in any of the currencies provided by the card, be it for online shopping, point-of-sale, or ATM withdrawals.

Moreover, NBK Foreign Currency Prepaid Card offers a range of benefi ts including: Travel insurance of up to $100,000, exclusive offers and rewards from Visa, SMS Service, in addition to easy login to your account via NBK Online Banking, and other benefits that meet travelers’ lifestyle and needs. In addition, customers can apply for the card with ease and convenience through NBK Online Banking or NBK Call Center, and the bank will deliver the card to them free of charge anywhere in Kuwait.

NBK Credit Cards are widely accepted worldwide and are the safest, most convenient and rewarding way to pay, offering value added features, numerous discounts, and excellent rewards. For more information contact NBK NBK single currency prepaid card. Call Center at 1801801, or visit nbk.com

Kuwait Local News

Cyber Crime: Preventive steps must be taken to protect children

The application of social preventive approaches is essential and instrumental in protecting children from hazards of online exposure to extremist and violent contents, a US executive official affirmed Friday.

Opening dialogue between parents and their children about various social issues and monitoring children’s online use and access to social media networks and websites are two of the most effective ways to protect children’s safety, security, and lives, Zainab Al-Suwaij, Executive Director of the American Islamic Congress (AIC), told .

Al-Suwaij made her remarks on the sidelines of her participation in Kuwait’s first regional conference on protecting children against cyber hazards, stressing the importance of finding an open communication platform between parents, children, and governments to help eliminating radical and extremist situations in their societies. Raising public awareness at home is not enough; it should also be conducted in schools, colleges, universities, media, and social media, she said, adding that the internet world is wide and difficult to control.

TOP STORIES

Kansas shooting: Indian-Americans raise $100,000 to help ‘true hero’ Ian Grillot

A 24-year-old American, who took a bullet for an Indian, has been honoured as ‘A True American Hero’ by the Indian-American community, at the 14th annual gala of India House Houston, which raised $100,000 to help him buy a house in his hometown Kansas.

Ian Grillot was injured when he tried to intervene in the shooting by a Navy veteran targetting Indians at a bar in Olathe, Kansas last month.

Srinivas Kuchibhotla, 32, was killed and his colleague Alok Madasani was critically injured in the shooting.

“On behalf of the Indian-American community in Houston, India House recognised this selfless act beyond the call of duty and has extended the community’s gratitude to Ian Grillot by helping him to buy a house,” said a statement posted on the India House Houston Facebook page.

India House raised the amount as part of an initiative supported by the Consul General of India in Houston Dr Anupam Rayn, it said.

India’s ambassador to the US Navtej Sarna handed over the cheque to Ian.

“I don’t know if I could have lived with myself if I wouldn not have stopped or attempted to stop the shooter because that would have been completely devastating. I do now have a very powerful message and if I can help empower people and spread hope and love, then why not? I am honored to be at India House that serves so many families from so many communities in the Houston area,” Ian said.

India House is a community center built by Americans of Indian origin in the Greater Houston area.

“It is not every day that one meets a genuine hero — a person who risks his life for another, and takes a bullet for a complete stranger. Ian Grillot is a man who reminds us of the promise of America and its greatness,” said Jiten Agarwal, a prominent Houstonian and Chair of the annual gala.

World

Indian driver assaulted in another suspected racial attack in Australia

In a suspected case of racial attack an Indian taxi driver from Kerala was attacked by group of teenagers in Hobart in Australia’s Tasmania state early Sunday. Li Max, hailing from Kottayam, had to be admitted to the Royal Hobart Hospital with deep wounds on his face and chest.

Li told his relatives that he was attacked without any provocation. He said when he stopped his car near a McDonald’s outlet he saw three youths were arguing with an employee but they soon turned their ire on Li.

“Among the three a big boy in black T shirt yelled racial abuses and attacked me without any provocation. I was literally shocked. Soon two others also joined, raining blows on me. Before leaving they poured water on bleeding wounds,” Li told a Malayalam news channel.

He said he had been was working in Hobart for eight years and never gone through such a bitter experience. “While hitting me they were using choicest racial abuses. Nobody intervened when I was attacked and later they sped away in their vehicle,” he said.

“The racial mood is slowly changing in Australia also. Many attribute this to ‘Trump effect’ but I don’t know what exactly provoked them,” he said adding recently another Indian driver was humiliated in a similar fashion but he refused to file a police compliant. Li was discharged later in the day.

This is the second such incident in a week. Last Sunday a priest from Kerala, Tomy Kalathoor, was stabbed inside a church in Melbourne while he was attending a Sunday mass. Australian police later said the assailant was a mentally deranged. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj had condemned the attack directed the Indian consulate to render all help to the priest.

TOP STORIES

One Killed, At Least 14 Injured in Cincinnati Nightclub Shooting, Says Police

At least one person was killed and 13 others were injured in a shooting early on Sunday at a nightclub in the US, Cincinnati police said.

Authorities were called to the Cameo Night Club on Kellogg Avenue in Cincinnati, the city’s WLWT5 news reported. The police did not provide any further information.

The victims have been rushed to local hospitals and fire stations, police added.

According to reports, the gunman is still on the loose.

The incident occurred a little under a year after a deadly shooting in a nightclub in Orlando, Florida, when a terrorist killed 49 people and wounded 53 others, the deadliest mass shooting in the United States and the nation’s worst terror attack since 9/11, authorities said.

TOP STORIES

12-year-old Kerala Boy Becomes Father, Police Register Complaint

Thiruvananthapuram: In an unusual occurrence in Kerala, a 12-year-old boy has become the father of a baby, after getting into a relationship with his 17-year-old cousin.

Initially, the potency of the boy was questioned owing to his age, but the DNA report and the potency test showed that the boy was indeed the father.

 According to the Child Welfare Committee, the incident came to light about four months ago when the girl delivered a baby. The hospital informed the CWC which then informed the police.

According to Police, the boy and the girl were cousins living in the same house, after the girl and her mother were abandoned by her father.

Primarily, a case was registered against the boy. Later, when the boy complained, a case was registered against the girl, too. The family told the police that they were unaware of the pregnancy till the girl was taken to the hospital.

The girl had complained of stomach pain and she was taken to the hospital, where they realised she was pregnant.

The newborn baby and the girl are living with her mother in a house next to the house of the boy. The Child Welfare committee is counselling the girl and the boy.

Dr P K Jabbar, head of the department of endocrinology, Trivandrum medical college said that medically speaking it is possible to father a child at that age. “The age when children mature is between 12 and 14 years. In this child’s case, it may have been a little earlier. It can be a case of precocious puberty,” the doctor said.

India News

It Is Mandatory To Link Your Mobile Number To Your Aadhar Card Now

In yet another move to push the Aadhar or Unique Identity card, the government has made it mandatory to link an Indian citizen’s mobile number to their Aadhar number. The Department of Telecom (DoT) has released a circular to the telcos, spelling out details of the order.

 

As reported by Medianama, the network providers have been given a year’s time to verify their users’ old and new phone numbers through Aadhar’s eKYC (Know Your Customer) process.

The circular notes that it has been issued by the government following the Supreme Court order of 6 February, directing it to verify all new phone numbers through the Aadhar eKYC process.

 

“An effective process has been evolved to ensure identity verification, as well as the addresses of all mobile phone subscribers for new subscribers. In the near future, and more particularly within one year from today, a similar verification will be completed, in case of existing subscribers,” the circular further states.

 

A meeting between officials of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) and PMO took place on 13 February to work out the modalities of the order’s implementation.

The circular directs the telcos to notify existing customers about the court order by different means such as SMS, uploading procedure on their website, and the electronic and print media.

For verification, the telcos have to inform and direct their customers to keep their SIM card for a given phone number physically available and active. Then, the phone company will send an SMS to the user on that number for verification and the eKYC process will be initiated.

Now, the most notable thing here is that after the eKYC process is complete, a verification SMS will be sent to the user. But, if the user doesn’t respond within three days, the new entries will be made automatically. So, there is no way to retract or deny the eKYC.

The circular says that multiple numbers with the same telcom network can be verified through a single eKYC process. It adds that there will be a separate process for outstation customers that has yet to be formulated. Data cards will be authenticated through an alternative mobile number.

Kuwait Local News #TOP STORIES

Mr. Arif Jamil, an active member of ICK Kuwait passed away, Funeral is on 28th March in Kuwait

Prominent member of Islamic Centre of Kuwait (ICK) Mr. Arif Jamil Auti has passed away due to heart attack in Kuwait yesterday night.

Mr. Arif Jamil was working as Sales Manager at Oracle Consulting Services Company in Kuwait.

He was well known for his ever smiling face and for his services rendered in community services.

He also successfully Co-founded, operated and engineered the sell-out of a Business News, Views & Features portal for Media, Advertising & Marketing professionals in the Middle East.

Hailing from Karnataka, Mr. Arif leaves behind his wife and four children

May Allah SWT grant him Jannatul Firdaus and a peaceful relaxation until the day that we shall all be raised to life once again.

We request your prayers for forgiveness, acceptance of his good deeds & patience for the Family.

UPDATES: Funeral prayer is on 28 march…day after tomorrow after Asr prayer In Sha Allah. Those willing to attend prayer are requested to pray Asr at the Masjid located outside at the main gate of Sulaibikhaat Graveyard